Where do I start? After the (understandably) less than stellar reception to “Tablaeu” I really wanted to post something cool for a followup. I worked on few different projects but none of them really blew me away as being something that I would want to post as a “standalone”. I would work through the night on a project and then render it during the day with the hopes of posting it that night. When the time came to post the image though, I would find a reason to work on it some more.
I’ve just finished posting 14 images. Some of them are new, some are pickles. Here’s the list:
- Misty Grove/Bamboo Grove: This is really two different versions of the same landscape. “Misty Grove” was completed a couple of days ago but I decided that it was just too grey and depressing to post on it’s own. I decided the scene needed to be more intimate and I replaced the trees with bamboo. Still kind of grey though 🙂
- Far From Home: I started this project last weekend to see if I could create a planetscape using World Builder. I was hoping to use WB to model the moon’s surface, but it turned out to be much more difficult than I had imagined. World Builder terrains look a lot better when they are covered with grass.
- Rocks: This is the project that turned into “Phaeralon” a few weeks ago. It was one of my first attempts at using Radiosity with Lightwave. The only element that made the transition from this scene to Phaeralon is the small figure added to give a sense of scale. There are two versions of this one available in the Picklejar
- Swordman: I modeled this sword in Lightwave and brought in a Poser to wield it. Rather than design a totally new environment for the fellow, I put him in “Phaeralon“. There are three renders of this guy available. Two on the New Images page, and one in the Picklejar. The one in the Picklejar is quite dark, since I used a darker marble texture for the stairs.
I’ve also posted…
- Snowy: This image was created between “Relics” and “Song of the Sky“. I basically turned the “summer forest” into a “winter forest” and added some calm water in the foreground to balance out the blinding snow. It was the transition from a summer image to a winter one that gave me the idea to add the Aurora.
- Phaeralon by Night: Some of your suggested a night version of “Phaeralon“, lit only by the blue glow from the crystal parts on the statues. I tried it out.
- Orange Stellar:Some of you asked if I would do an orange version of “Stellar“. Actually, I did the orange version before the blue one and I combined the two renders in photoshop to create the image I posted a couple of weeks ago. Here is the orange version. Get out your shades…
- Last and least — Green Gargoyle: This one was a brief experiment in UV mapping that I did in Lightwave last week. It’s pretty basic, but I figured if I was going to post all of this other stuff I might as well through it in.
So that’s about it for now and I think I’m going to take a break from art for a few days to rest my brain. If you have any comments on any of these images, don’t hesitate to send them over.